Maybe it is diffcult for you to understand injection molding. On this page we use the simple words, carton and video to tell you about, injection molding, cost and evaluate manufacturer as well as working with mold manufacturers.
What is injection molding?
Injection molding is a manufacturing process for producing parts by injecting material into mold to from products you need. Lots of material can be injected as below:
- Resin( and thermoset),
- Metal such as aluminum alloy, zinc alloy and stainless steel alloy,
- Glass etc.
Injection mold is the tooling with cavity and core to form the injection parts you designed. There are few system to finish the whole injection process such as:
- Injection system,
- Cooling system or heating system,
- Ejection system,
- Injection guiding system,
- Angle core pulling system to form the undercut of plastic parts and tooling release for the undercuts,
Also there is a few components in the mold to assist to the injection process such as:
- Ejector pin,
- Hot system,
- Injection ,
- Injection mold guide pin and bushing,
- Ejector plate,
- Ejector retainer plate,
- Hydraulic cylinder,
- Spring etc.
Injection mold standard
DME was born in 1942. DME offer mold standard mold components and hot runner system. With
HASCO is one of main mold standard, with its simple design, easy to install, good interchangeability, reliability in operation, stable, compatible with national industry standards, HASCO becomes one of major mold standand in the world, popular in Europe.
MISUMI mold standard
Japan mold standard.
Widely used injection mold
- Plastic injection mold,
- Aluminum mold,
- Zinc die casting mold,
- Stainless steel die casting mold,
Injection mold base
Injection mold base is a standard component for injection mold. Injection mold base is generated to speed up the mold manufacturing process, saving the mold maker to manufacture the mold base and focus on the main components manufacture of injection mold. In modern industry, generally mold base is built by separated manufacturer not the mold maker.
Common injection mold base manufacturer
- DME—Base in USA,
- HASCO—Base in Germany,
- —Base in China etc.
Injection molding machine
Injection molding machine is the machine to set the injection mold to form the injection parts.
Plastic injection molding process
- Drying the pellets
- Loading into injection molding machine
- Heating and shearing material into a melt
- Injecting the melt into the cavity
- Plastic part cooling, solidification
- Ejecting the finished plastic part from the injection mold.
If you need to know more for plastic injection molding process, please review the page “plastic injection molding process”
Injection molding cost
What will affect injection molding cost:
Review below video to understand what will affect the injection mold & molding cost.
- Mold size,
- Mold weight,
- Mold structure,
- Part weight,
- Injection molding machine type and size,
- What kind of material used for injection molding,
- How many parts will be produced,
Yourdesign will affect the mold size, mold weight and mold structure etc. above factor to affect the injection molding price.
More information for plastic injection molding cost, you can review below to know more.
Plastic injection mold cost
Sure you should know the biggest factor to affect injection mold cost is your product design. Than there are few more factory to affect the price as below:
- You need to purchase the mold to product locally or transparent to your country for production. Different injection machine and Country mold standard make the mold price difference.
- Mold life, this is how many parts you need to produce by this mold,
- Mold steel, this will affect mold life, but different resin will have different steel for core and cavity, for example, for the transparent lens, you need to choose stainless such NAK 80, 420 etc.
- Use , multi-cavity mold or single cavity mold,
- What kind of brand steel you choose, even if it is same type of mold steel, the price from different brand is not the same, some of them is big difference.
China plastic injection molding cost
It is big different price from China plastic injection manufacturers. This also happen in US, Europe and the other place in the world. For old traditional China molding plant, they offer very low mold price as they need to win the molding profit. But there is more small orders compare to the situation a few years ago. Old traditional China molding plant is difficult to live. Generally this kind of factories did not offer the export mold manufacturing because they did not see injection mold as a product. There is more and more small China mold factories established in Shenzhen, Dongwan and Zhongshan city, sure this happen in the other cities of China. At the same time, lots of old traditional large injection molding factories is dead due to single type of customer, single type of products and old equipment.
Different plastic injection molding parts
Pipe fitting molding parts
Automotive plastic molding parts
Electronic plastic molding parts